Are you tired of all the unhealthy Halloween food? Or do you at least want to supplement all the candy with a healthy option? We found the perfect family dinner for those celebrating this spooky fall holiday. Whether you’re making a few or a couple dozen for a backyard gathering, these stuffed bell peppers are tasty, and can be modified to fit most everyone’s palate. With their cheery jack-o-lantern exteriors, the warm and delicious stuffing, and the ease of putting them together, these little guys are sure to become a fall favorite.
One thing to keep in mind before carving is that it will be easier to do with a smaller, sharper knife. You may want to draw out a jack-o-lantern face for reference, or you can make each of them different. Go slowly and make sure you have a clean counter or table space on which to prepare your peppers.
To make this jack-o-lantern dinner, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 4 large orange bell peppers
- 1 cup cooked rice (you can use whatever type of rice you like, such as basmati, brown, or wild rice)
- 1 Tbsp oil (the recipe we found recommends using avocado oil, though of course you can use olive oil instead)
- 1 lb. ground meat (the recipe uses beef, but chicken or turkey would be tasty as well)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 8 oz mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 cups of sauce (you can use pizza or pasta sauce, though this recipe calls for red pepper sauce)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
Cook the rice on the stove while the peppers are in the oven. After the peppers are cooled, you can carve them up to resemble little pumpkins. You’ll need to cook the meat and add in the sauce, mushrooms, onion, and spices, then add to the rice and fill the peppers. They’re then ready to serve!
Is your mouth watering yet? You can find the recipe, along with several tantalizing photos, at Its Yummi.